Thursday, January 31, 2008

GUD magazine

I got a freebie from GUD magazine. GUD stands for Greatest Uncommon Denominator, "a print/pdf magazine with two hundred pages of literary and genre fiction, poetry, art, and articles".

I love freebies - don't we all.

In this case the freebie was a story, "Baby Edward", and it was weird.

I like weird. The baby is kipt locked up in a VW Bus in the yard, but he's growing - and carnivorous. And the narrator's girlfriend wants a picnic in the yard, near the bus. Of course she doesn't know about Edward. How do you start to explain a thing like that to your girlfriend?

This sounds odd, but it's hard to say whether I enjoyed the story. Certainly I never got the urge to get out an editing pen - you wouldn't expect that at GUD anyway. I didn't have any strong feelings about it either way. Only I can't forget it.

I suppose that makes it good.

No comments: