Thursday, March 18, 2010

A morning's escape.

Bananas being irrigated Bananas being irrigated



Instead of being a good girl and getting on with the translation, I snuck out this morning. I intended to go to Playa Nogales, but I wound up in San Andres y Sauces, mostly just mooching around with my camera.

Goodness, it was fun!

My friend Helen had told me that from the big bridge at Los Sauces, you could see banana plantations that had been flattened by the storms this winter. So I went.

The bananas look a mess, but they didn't photograph too well. On the other hand, I did get a nice view of San Andres from up there.

San Andres from Los Sauces bridgeSan Andres from Los Sauces bridge

I also got a nice view of the narrow lane that winds down the bottom of the ravine under the bridge. The one I'd always fancied driving along. I had some free time, so why not?

And I did. The lane goes through banana plantations, and I got a nice backlit photo of irrigation, and this one of cut banana stems. See, bananas aren't trees: the stem is the base of lots of leaf stalks, one inside another.

Cut Banana stemsBanana stems

1 comment:

Doc said...

Great shots, Sheila!

On another topic, I've awarded you the Sunshine Award for your great blog!
Congrats!